A global network of excellence for engineering structures
Bridges are a major product line for SYSTRA and a cornerstone of our technical excellence in providing our clients with safe, efficient and cost-effective solutions.
We have a global network of excellence in bridge engineering, with more than 350 bridge experts based in the United States, France, Canada, India, Korea, and Dubai.
This unrivalled technical expertise, one of SYSTRA’s strengths, enables us to work on all types of bridges, viaducts and overhead structures.
Major structures are intrinsically linked to the transport and mobility solutions we design. These are challenges of size and complexity, which mobilise our passionate experts to combine performance and integration into the local environment, as well as optimising costs and deadlines.
Our dedicated international network of experts is involved throughout the production chain, designing all types of major structures and overhead crossings:
- Arch bridges
- Cable-stayed bridges
- Suspension bridges
- Bridges for metros or high-speed lines
- Truss bridges
- Arch bridges
- Viaducts (particularly U-shaped)
SYSTRA has been ranked 4th in the international Bridges ranking published by Engineering News-Records (ENR) since 2023.
Our services extend to all phases of the project, from upstream studies to full project management in close collaboration with manufacturers, and even maintenance and independent certification.
Our bridges and viaducts, which regularly win international awards, reflect the promise we make to our clients and partners in the context of Design & Build projects: to combine our top-level technical expertise with high-quality production capacity and support at every stage to deliver robust engineering structures on time and at competitive prices.
Bridges that push back the boundaries
We have contributed to the design of more than 30 cable-stayed bridges worldwide, as well as the construction of iconic structures such as:
- The longest floating bridge: the Evergreen Point Bridge in Seattle, USA
- The longest span for a concrete bridge, with the Atlantic Bridge in Panama
- The longest sea crossing for a bridge (34.1km), with the Sheikh Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah Causeway in Kuwait
- The fastest aerial metro in history to be designed and built on a viaduct, with the Makkah metro in Saudi Arabia
- The longest suspension bridge with two main spans (2.75km), with the Chacao Bridge in Chile
- The longest span for a cable-stayed railway bridge, with the Tianxingzhou Bridge in China
- The longest span for a prestressed concrete box girder HSR bridge at Medway in the United Kingdom
- The longest span for a high-speed bow-string bridge, with the MOAM bridge in South Korea.
The SYSTRA IBT team worked hard to keep to the project schedule, anticipate the preparation of applications for the purchase of steel sheets, and develop a cost-effective design. Their support was exemplary. Walsh and WVC were particularly pleased with the work carried out, and our companies were able to forge excellent relations thanks to this project. We look forward to working with SYSTRA IBT again and highly recommend them!BRIAN L HOPPEL, PROGRAM MANAGER, WALSH GROUP PROJET LEWIS AND CLARK BRIDGE, LOUISVILLE, USA
did you know?
SYSTRA patented the U-shaped viaduct in 1992. This unique concept combines an elegant design with rapid and economical construction, suitable for megacities where the lack of transport provision is most critical.
Its design can integrate several elements:
- An S-Rack system to reduce the noise impact of overhead metro systems
- Ultra-high performance fibre-reinforced concrete construction to extend the spans between the piers and improve aesthetic integration.
- The addition of solar panels to produce renewable electricity.
Used for the first time in 1997 by the Santiago metro, the U-shaped viaduct has been the subject of almost 1,000km of studies, half of which are already in service or under construction on every continent.
Ponts et viaducs
see our bridges brochure
SYSTRA has been a world leader in transport infrastructure for over 60 years. Bridges are an important product line and the cornerstone of our technical expertise in providing safe, efficient and cost-effective solutions.