SYSTRA is present in all phases of the Grand Paris Express, the largest infrastructure project in Europe. Many of SYSTRA’s areas of expertise are mobilised in the service of this project, designed to transform the mobility offer in Île-de-France .
The Grand Paris Express consists of four new automatic metro lines built in Île-de-France. With nearly 200 km of new lines and 68 stations, this new network aims to double the Paris metro and connect the cities of the Ile-de-France region.
With 90% of inhabitants within 2 km of a station, this new and modern transport offer will be accessible to as many people as possible and will eventually transport more than 2 million passengers per day.
SYSTRA takes a systems integration approach, supporting Société du Grand Paris (SGP), the government agency responsible for the Grand Paris Express, at all phases of the project: from study and design phases commencing 2011 until completion of the network, expected by 2030. There are 250 SYSTRA staff working daily to make this project a reality, 25% of whom are women.
Known as the ‘worksite of the century’, this is first transport infrastructure project of its size where stations are entirely modelled using the BIM (Building information modelling) method, allowing the use of 3D models and all design, operation and structures maintenance information embedded on the same platform.
SYSTRA teams are working with SGP at their offices in Saint-Denis and at base sites with local public works companies. The tunnel boring machine (TBM), Steffie-Orbival, launched in 2018 from the Champigny base site on section 2 of Line 15 South. It is the first machine to have completed its course out of a total of 21 TBMs to simultaneously dig 170km of tunnels required for the project.
The project in pictures
For Line 15, SYSTRA is in charge of two iconic assignments:
- Project management of the design and construction of infrastructures for section 2 of Line 15 South, from Villejuif-Louis Aragon to Noisy-Champs (24km, 8 stations, 22 communities served).
- Technical project management assistance for Line 15 West and Line 15 East (43km, 23 stations, 27 communities served).
For Lines 15, 16 and 17, SYSTRA is working on:
- Systems project management assistance.
- Operations management.
- Project management for the rolling stock design and automatic train control.
- Project management for the infrastructure maintenance site (SMI) in Vitry.
- Project management for infrastructure maintenance vehicles.
For Line 18, SYSTRA is also in charge of assignments to support SGP in land acquisition.
The creation of the Greater Paris metropolis also utilises SYSTRA on other assignments with various clients such as RATP, the state-owned public transport operator in Paris, and ADP Group (Aéroports de Paris). In civil engineering, SYSTRA is leading:
- Project management for infrastructures of the Line 14 northbound extension (St Lazare to Mairie de St Ouen).
- Project management for infrastructures of the Line 11 eastbound extension (Mairie des Lilas to Rosny-Bois-Perrier).
- Project management for infrastructures of the Line 4 extension.
- Project management of Lines 14 and 18 at Orly Airport.
- Subcontractor on the civil engineering on Line 16 –package 2, from Aulnay-sous-Bois to Chelles.
- With Setec (leader), we are project manager for the Line 14 southbound extension (Olympiades to Orly Airport).