Description Of Project
Bothar Boring were engaged by Sterling Infrastructure Pty Ltd (Principal Contractor) as the Tunnelling Sub-Contractor for the Goonyella Branch culvert upgrade.
As part of this project, three new drainage culverts were installed under the existing Hay Point to North Goonyella Aurizon rail corridor as a replacement to the existing aging culverts. The culverts were installed via trenchless techniques combining auger boring and pipe jacking.
SYSTRA Bamser Involvement
SYSTRA Bamser’s expertise, experience, knowledge, and resources were engaged to provide design verification for the DN900 RCP and DN1200 RCP, and carry out the associated design checks relevant to the auger bore methodology and the temporary works for the launch and receival pits.
The design verification for the three culverts included the following:
- Determine the feasible culvert profile;
- Assessment of the permanent load case, including dead and live loads to determine an acceptable DN900 and DN1200 Reinforced Concrete Pipe;
- Temporary works for ground excavation support at entry and exit locations;
- Augerbore thrust restraint;
- Jacking load assessment for temporary steel casing and permanent DN900 RCP and DN1200 RCP;
- Buckling and deflection assessment of the temporary steel casing;
- Settlement analysis of the rail corridor; and
- Produce IFC drawings.
In addition to the design, Bamser also provided the following to assist in the successful delivery of the project:
- Provide a Safety in Design (SID) Report for each culvert crossing;
- Compile the job specification on behalf of the tunnelling contractor;
- Identify the requirements and scope for the geotechnical investigations and testing at each site; and
- Provide ongoing technical assistance during the construction works.