Paris Region - New Tram-Train T4 branch
A new branch will be added to the T4 Line, the first tram-train to be opened in the Paris region, serving Montfermeil. Systra has been commissioned to provide assistance to the project owner, the STIF.
Inaugurated in 2006, the T4 Line is a line that has become fundamental for Parisians living north of Seine-Saint-Denis who travel between Bondy and Aulnay-sous-Bois. A particular feature of the line is its reuse of the Coquetiers rail line, originally built in 1875 and modernised for the T4 project.
The new branch of the T4 Line is part of a policy to improve the public transport network in the Paris metropolitan area and, in particular, to the east of Seine-Saint-Denis, which aims to open up under-served areas and encourage people to use public transport.
Building on the success of the tramway, the Paris region has decided to provide the line with a new branch to Montfermeil, which allows the creation of a new direct connection between Bondy and Montfermeil.
This new extension to the T4 Line branches off at Gargan station, in the Pavillons-sous-Bois municipality. The new branch extends over a distance of 6.5km, passing through four municipalities: Les Pavillons-sous-Bois, Livry-Gargan, Clichy-sous-Bois and Montfermeil.
The project has important interfaces with a number of urban and transport schemes including the Grand Paris Express station at Clichy-Montfermeil (Line 16), Bondy station (Line 15), the T11 Express Tangentielle Nord [Northern Tangent] project on the Noisy-le-Sec site, the T-Zen 3 BRT at Gargan station, and the Urban Renewal Project for the Clichy-Montfermeil plateau area. The new T4 branch is to enter service at the end of 2019.
Systra’s assignment is to provide assistance to the project owner (in the sense defined in the MOP Act [the French public procurement legislation]) for the urban section, a new departure for Systra which strengthens its expertise and capabilities in all phases of the project: from design to construction.
The assignment means that Systra is acting with the STIF’s authority, and on its behalf, to manage the project. The expertise provided includes:
- Project management (cost management, risk analysis, monitoring of schedules, etc.)
- Management of the service providers and key players
- Management of interfaces
- Management of all administrative procedures
- Relations with local communities and finance providers
- Advice and support to the project owner
- The putting in place of all agreements and the procurement/ management of the contracts related to the work
- The management of project communications
The particular feature of the project is its interconnection with the National Rail Network. This specific aspect means that the safety requirements of two regulatory authorities need to be met: those of the EPSF and STRMTG.
The proper functioning of the interfaces, where the route through the urban area connects to the national rail network, is one of the major challenges in terms of the energy supply for motive power, signalling, and the overhead contact line.
In order to be able to integrate the urban area between Gargan and Montfermeil, existing infrastructure on the rail network had to be adapted:
- the creation, at Gargan, of a 750V mains power supply and a substation, and the putting in place of servo-controls for the adjacent substation in the urban area
- The putting in place of a compatible computer-assisted operating and passenger information system for both zones
- Modification of switches and crossings to ensure compatibility with the mixed wheel types of the new trains that will run in the urban area.