The Mont-Blanc Tunnel – Refurbishment and Modernisation
SYSTRA was commissioned to provide assistance to the owner on the refurbishment and modernisation of the Mont Blanc tunnel.
In the wake of the fire, which gutted the Mont Blanc tunnel on 24 March 1999, it was decided to:
- Upgrade safety systems;
- Reinforce rescue facilities;
- Create a single operating entity;
- Introduce new traffic rules.
SYSTRA was responsible for:
Day-to-day management and organisation of the project
- Keeping track of the project manager’s costs and estimates;
- Managing the timetables for each project phase;
- Co-ordinating activities with the owner of the Italian part of the tunnel;
- Compiling the documents for the tenders handled directly by ATMB.
- Inspecting the technical aspects of preliminary and detailed designs, tender documents and documents relating to tunnel maintenance, operation and safety;
- Acceptance activities (works and equipment);
- Auditing the project manager’s activities;
- Providing specialist consultants and conducting inspections, as and when required.