Modernisation of the Saint-Gervais Vallorcine Line
SYSTRA was appointed project manager to modernise the Saint-Gervais Vallorcine line, built between 1901 and 1908.
Over 765,000 passengers a year use this Franco-Swiss line between the Valais (a Swiss canton) and the Rhone-Alp region of France. The Chamonix valley local authorities designed an Urban Transport Master Plan to improve public transport, serve the region’s tourist sites and preserve the environment around Mont Blanc.
SYSTRA was responsible for:
- Renovating 15 km of track and ballast;
- Renovating structures (3 bridges in the construction phase);
- Creating crossovers and extra tracks (in design phase);
- Producing preliminary studies for power supply;
- Producing detailed designs to replace the 3rd rail;
- Producing a design guidebook for continuous welded rails (CWR) in a metric gauge;
- Producing overall designs for feeders (overall design for cabling), cable troughs and foundations;
- Coordinating projects interfacing with the line.