SYSTRA Canada’s Signalling and Telecommunications teams are experienced at providing technical solutions that are specifically adapted to the needs of railway operators, accounting for users, operating plans, commercial speed, and the types of available power supply.
Throughout a project SYSTRA Canada’s experts strive to provide cost effective solutions to the operator by adopting SYSTRA System Engineering Framework from the initial design phase to commissioning and operation.
Close collaboration between SYSTRA Canada’s experts and other members of the SYSTRA group facilitates the development of quality solutions adapted to clients’ needs in the areas of both bulk freight and passenger railway transportation.
SYSTRA Canada’s expertise covers signalling systems ranging from semi-manual systems (train movements controlled from a computerized control centre without track side or on board signalling), conventional systems using track-side equipment and wayside signals, and advanced systems (TPC, ERTMS) that provide secure train control with both track-side and in-cab equipment.
SYSTRA Canada provides a team of highly qualified engineers with extensive experience in the fields of fiber optics, VHF transmission (train moves controlled and authorized by block signals), and GSM-R (in conjunction with ERTMS signalling systems), which are the main telecommunication systems used by railways. The design of these systems is usually done in concert with the signalling system design.
The high transmission rates achievable with fiber optics allow a railway operator to attract public or private investment in the system. The operator may lease a portion of the available transmission bandwidth to third parties while maintaining the same capacity and quality of service for railway communications.
SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)
SYSTRA provides the capability to design and implement railway SCADA systems and operation control centers (OCC) integrating supervision and control of all railways subsystems in accordance with the most recent standards of cybersecurity.
ENGINEERING SERVICES FOR SIGNALLING AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS
SYSTRA Canada’s signalling and telecommunications experts provide a large range of engineering and project services, to freight and mineral railways, passenger railways and urban transit systems, including:
- Feasibility studies, analysis of signalling, telecommunications, SCADA, and OCC requirements;
- Traffic and safety studies, auditing and evaluation of the performance of existing systems, and definition of functional requirements in relation to other railway disciplines;
- Design studies and implementation schedules to install new systems or replace and upgrade existing ones;
- Functional, technical, and performance specifications of systems and equipment, preparation of tender specifications, and evaluation of bids;
- Systems engineering, system assurance, project and contract management;
- Approval of execution studies, supervision of installation testing, and commissioning of systems;
- Approval of the security management plan during the development of a signalling system;
- Development of operations and maintenance plans, evaluation of resources and training;
- Operations and maintenance audits of systems in commercial service.