The Structuring Transit Network (RSTC – Réseau structurant de transport en commun) Project is part of the priorities of the governments of Quebec and Canada with respect to sustainable mobility.
This public transit network development in the Quebec agglomeration is comprised of:
- One tram line;
- An east-west articulated bus route on open exclusive bus lanes.
- Transit-only lanes on open exclusive right-of-way with preferential measures;
- One major and complete overhaul of the transit system.
The Tramway Line
The 22-km tramway line will include 33 stations (including 3 underground ones), 1 tunnel, 1 maintenance and operation centre and 3 intermodal transportation hub. The system will include:
- Important, comfortable and sustainable infrastructures: stations, dedicated lanes, intermodal equipment and user information systems;
- Measures that ensure its reliability by giving it priority over other modes of transport;
- A high frequency, i.e. every 4 minutes during rush hour. The maximum interval will be 12 minutes between 2 passes;
- High capacity and commercial speed.
With a view to carrying out a pre-project design of the Quebec City tramway system, enabling it to move on to the implementation phase by responding to the specific needs of the Quebec City agglomeration, SYSTRA Canada is assisting the RTC and the City in the preliminary project design and to identify the methods and processes of maintenance and operation of the tram system.
The purpose of the services is to ensure that the best design decisions are made, both in terms of the scope of the project and its cost and timeline. Preliminary design decisions for which consulting services are expected cover all components of a tramway system.
SYSTRA’s mandate consists in the overall owner’s engineer role for the tramway system, and more precisely:
- Activities related to drafting of business plan, ridership, validation of mode (tram vs metro);
- Assisting in the obtention of the various regulatory approvals, including environmental approval;
- Defining the master schedule, including construction schedule;
- Drafting of preliminary operating plan;
- Definition of functional specifications of the tramway system;
- Development of preliminary design of the system;
- Drafting of reference concept design and associated specifications for upcoming procurement of D&Bs;
- Review of specifications the infrastructure package.
During the execution phase, SYSTRA’s role will consist in:
- Technical and organizational assistance in the overall management of project execution (detailed studies, works, testing);
- Management of the integration and interfaces of the transport system;
- Overall assistance in the testing and commissioning of the system;
- Assistance in the future operation of the tramway by the Owner.