The feasibility study mandate included the evaluation of technical solutions and the proposal of a business plan for the construction of a high-frequency passenger railway between Ottawa-Toronto, and Quebec-Montreal.
The goal of the High Frequency Rail Project was to provide VIA with the capacity to increase train frequency and on-time performance with the construction of a track dedicated to passenger trains.
Furthermore, the objective was to evaluate the technical-economic feasibility of building new segments of track and rehabilitating existing track segments. SYSTRA Canada oversaw the preparation of a Business Plan and performed a 30% level engineering design and a capital expense estimate at -15/+20% accuracy.
The specific services provided by SYSTRA Canada were as follows:
- Review of previous studies;
- Evaluation of the ridership;
- Assessment of technical-economic options and capital expenses;
- Financial Modelling;
- Risk assessment.
- Preparation of a Business Plan;
- Preliminary Environmental Impact Assessment to determine environmental and social considerations during construction;
- Definition of Design Criteria;
- Field Investigations and determination of upgrade requirements including: surveying services; geotechnical investigations; bridge & Culvert inspections; track inspections; level Crossing inspections;
- Assessment of electric and diesel locomotive options;
- Evaluation of optional electrification costs;
- Preliminary CTC (Centralized Traffic Control) arrangement;
- Evaluation of the impacts associated with utilities;
- Relocation of existing Multi-User Trail.
- Preliminary arrangement of Passenger Stations;
- Alignment optimization;
- Preparation of an operation plan and track schematics;
- Simulation of cycles times for the optimized route;
- Preparation of a drawing package including: plans, condensed profile, typical details, preliminary bridge design, earthworks, cross sections, etc;
- Evaluation of the use of Sidings vs Passing Tracks;
- Re-optimization of the alignment to ease tight curves;
- Evaluation of legal considerations and estimation of land acquisition;
- Determination of cut and fill volumes required during the project;
- Preparation of Performance Specifications for the Design-Build process;
- Evaluation of material type and minimum material requirements needed for the rail foundation as well as quantities for each rail component;
- Preparation of a preliminary Bill of Quantities;
- Development of Phasing, Construction planning and strategy;
- 20% level engineering Study of the Quebec-Montreal Corridor.