The Kanpur Metro Corridor 1 Project is a 23.78 km line (15.164 km Elevated and 8.621 km Underground) and will connect IIT Kanpur to Naubasta via 14 elevated stations, 7 underground stations, and a Car Maintenance Depot at Polytechnic. Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited (UPMRCL) has awarded SYSTRA the project’s Detailed Design Consultancy work.
The Kanpur Metro Rail project aims to produce a fast, reliable, convenient, efficient, modern, and cost-effective means of public transportation that is well integrated with other modes (multi modal integration). Kanpur is centrally located, well-connected, and one of the oldest industrial towns in North India.
The detailed design consultant for this section is in charge of the design of the Architectural, Civil, Structural, and Building Services Works for elevated stations, underground stations, and depots, as well as the proof checking of the Civil and Structural Works for underground stations.
The first phase of the Corridor 1 (9-km elevated section with 9 elevated stations, and a car maintenance depot) was successfully commissioned for revenue service on December 28, 2021 which was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Key features of the project
- Record Time completion of construction and design work for the first phase of the Corridor 1 in 32 months
- Use of SYSTRA’s innovative U-shaped viaduct to speed up the construction and design time of the project
- Use of prefabricated beams & caissons which were designed by SYSTRA and standardized design methodology for the ease of construction which ultimately speeds up the project life cycle
- Design of compacted and value engineered station layouts to optimize the cost of the project
- Specialized design of long span U-Girder