Washington D.C. – Modernization of Union Station
SYSTRA produced plans to redevelop and modernize the main concourse at Washington’s Union Station (WAS).
Amtrak, the commissioning authority, was keen to make immediate modifications to Hall A.
SYSTRA’s plans included freeing up 1616 m² of space at the western end of Hall A to improve passenger flows and extend the shopping mall.
SYSTRA issued the following recommendations:
- Relocating and grouping all HVAC facilities (heating, ventilation and air conditioning)
- Redeveloping the vacated areas to enhance passenger comfort
- Opening more shops
- Improving the aesthetics of the western end of Hall A
- Making better use of the lower level
- Relocating the existing left luggage facility
- Moving and rebuilding the north wall.