The French Development Agency (AFD) has selected the consortium led by SYSTRA, with Spectrum and TIM, to take charge of the evaluation studies and the preparation of tender documents for a gondola lift line linking a new area in the upper and lower towns of Tbilisi.
We are already in charge of organising calls for tenders for a first line between Samgori and Vazisubani. This mission is part of a framework agreement signed in 2020 between SYSTRA and AFD.
An integral part of a future mobility hub
The Sarajishvili – Zghvisubani cable car will enable the populated district of Zghvisubani to be linked directly to the metro (line 1 in Sarajishvili). Furthermore, it allows easier and quicker access to places of importance for the life of inhabitants such as the Jerarsi hospital complex located near the top station as well as the Tbilisi sea, a much visited artificial lake.
The bottom station is situated in the immediate vicinity of line 1 at Sarajishvili station as well as of metropolitan main roads and bus stops. Tbilisi’s Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP), which is under development, sees the location as a future mobility hub.
SYSTRA’s work on Tbilis’s cable cars – key facts
- Financed by: AFD (The French Development Agency)
- SYSTRA-led Consortium partners: Spectrum (our Georgian consultancy and mobility partner), TIM (a French specialist in cableways engineering)
- Sarajishvili – Zghvisubani cable car:
- Estimated future ridership: 3,000 passengers per hour per direction (pphpd) in 2034
- Length: Almost 2.3km including bottom, intermediate and top station