The Grasse Funicular
SYSTRA was responsible for project management for the Grasse funicular. This cable transport system was part of a huge project to restructure the area and link the old town to the mainline SNCF railway station.
The 600m funicular was to be built on viaducts of over 300m. The line was to comprise 4 stations and projected journey time was under 5 minutes, from end to end.
A number of innovations were developed for the Grasse funicular project such as close range acoustic screens and piston-type deck bearings to prevent lift.
As a member of the design and build consortium that won the contract, SYSTRA was responsible for integrated project management. SYSTRA’s multi-skilled team was in charge of:
- Project management for viaducts and footbridges
- Project management for the four stations
- Production of quality documentation
- Coordination of the design team’s activities, led by SYSTRA.
As project manager, SYSTRA was also responsible for overcoming a number of major challenges, including:
- Working in a very cramped urban environment
- Proposing innovative solutions to overcome geology issues
- Safely installing the viaducts
- Incorporating local authority transport system and town planning requirements
- Applying the recommendations of the official architect for historical monuments to optimise the route and improve aesthetics