Public Transportation Programme – Jeddah
SYSTRA is designing the Public Transportation Programme for the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah.
SYSTRA was awarded this challenging project comprising 6 different modes of transport, the design of an integrated transportation programme, the production of preliminary designs for the entire network and 11 documents for the call to tender.
Jeddah is not only the second largest town in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia both in terms of population (3.5 million) and economic importance, but also the gateway to the Holy Cities visited by millions of Muslim pilgrims every year. It was therefore necessary to restructure the city’s transport systems as it focused entirely on the car.
Designs for the entire network spanning over 800 km and covering every type of transport (metro, tram, rail, road, water-bus and bus) were produced within only 20 months.
SYSTRA has been commissioned to act as design consultant. The Group is producing preliminary designs (transport plans and preliminary designs for all modes of transport), compiling technical tender documents and helping the client to evaluate bids.
The project has been divided into 10 work packages:
- Pack 1: Public Transportation Programme
- Pack 2: Metro
- Pack 3: Conventional Rail
- Pack 4: LRT/Tram
- Pack 5: Bus / BRT network
- Pack 6: Water-bus and ferry network
- Pack 7: Al Muntalaq multi-modal station and associated real-estate development (including a hotel, offices and shopping mall…)
- Pack 8: Obhur Bridge (74 m long, 360 m wide, 8 lanes plus 1 metro line) and access interchanges
- Pack 9: Automated multi-storey car parks and garages
- Pack 10: Design of Systems & Maintenance.
SYSTRA is responsible for planning all these networks and producing the associated traffic forecasts as well as field surveys (prior to the production of civil engineering and architectural designs), defining rolling stock and maintenance workshop requirements, producing environmental impact assessments and providing support during the tender phase.