Ouargla LRT – Algeria
SYSTRA won the full project management contract for the Ouargla LRT, a new tramline operated by EMA (Algiers Metro Company).
This line, known as the “Gateway to the Sahara”, runs between the entrance to the old town of El Ksar and the new town of Hai Nasr passing through the centre of Ouargla and stopping at all the key interchange points to provide locals with connections to other modes of transport, mainly through connecting services at bus stations.
This 9.6 km tramline comprises 16 stations. The total journey time, from end to end, will be 34 minutes, with trams travelling at average speeds of 20.6km/h. Headway at peak times will be only 4 minutes. Ridership is estimated at 3 450 passengers per hour in each direction with a total of up to 34 million passengers a year.
In addition to the construction of the line, SYSTRA is also responsible for building the maintenance workshop, central command centre and administrative facility. All the local telephone and electricity networks will also be upgraded at the same time.
SYSTRA’s greatest achievement lay in its ability to develop a transport infrastructure in a town located in the Algerian Sahara, in a desert environment that comprised unique geotechnical and hydrogeological constraints. During the construction phase, the Ouargla project team was able to capitalise on the experience SYSTRA had acquired on the Maghreb networks projects, at first sight in Algiers, Casablanca, and Rabat.
SYSTRA worked on the Ouargla LRT/tramline project for 5 years, from 2011 to 2016. Its project management responsibilities included:
- Detailed studies of the alignment, track, earthworks and hydraulic structures
- Designs for stations, multimodal platforms and the maintenance workshop
- Acoustic and vibration analyses
- Architectural surveys for the entire line
- Public space and landscaping impact assessment
The geotechnical and hydrogeological issues required careful analysis so a specific methodology was developed to assess the risks associated with the presence of gypsum.
SYSTRA worked on every phase of the design and construction of the Ouargla LRT/Tram project, from start to finish, including:
- Detailed scheme designs
- Detailed designs
- Preparation of tender documents
- Assistance to the contracting authority
- Assistance awarding works contracts
- Management of works contract delivery
- Verification and approval of constructional designs
- Verification that constructional designs conform to design criteria
- Acceptance operation assistance
- Scheduling, supervision and coordination
- Interface management.