Morocco – LRT from Rabat to Salé
SYSTRA acted as the Contracting Authority’s assistant, then as the Project Manager for the Rabat-Salé light-rail transit in Morocco.
This tramway for Morocco is the first that to be built in North Africa. It comprises two lines connecting the capital, Rabat, to the district of Salé, along with a maintenance and stabling facility. The complete network will consist of four lines, with two crossings over the Bouregreg river.
The first two lines, totalling 20 km and serving 32 stations, were opened in May 2011. The Group started off assisting the Contracting Authority with the design and construction phases of the Rabat-Salé tram network, before being awarded the Project Management for the extension in build.
The network transports 32 million passengers per year and Line 2 will be extended 7 km by 2019.
From 2005 to the summer of 2011, SYSTRA’s support and advisory duties covered the following sectors:
- Tender documents
- Assistance with the invitations to tender
- The execution of work and supply contracts
- Management of the project
- Supervising the project management contract
- Advice with the preparation of funding packages
- Testing, acceptance and commissioning the tram system
- Interfacing between the operator, the project manager and the Contracting Authority, for pre-commercial service
SYSTRA was chosen to conduct complete general management for the extension of Line 2, including the following duties:
- Preliminary studies
- Advanced preliminary design
- Detailed design
- Implementation studies
- Assistance with the allocation of construction contracts (ACT);
- Testing & commissioning
The 25 members of SYSTRA’s staff working on the project in France and Morocco, include experts in civil engineering, networks, railway trackbase and operating systems.