Modernisation of the Trans-Gabon railway
SYSTRA won the contract to project manage the modernisation of the Trans-Gabon railway – a mixed passenger/freight line in Gabon.
Built in the 1970s and 80s, this legendary line stretches 650 km from Libreville to Franceville.
In 2008, SYSTRA compiled an audit to assess the condition of the line. In 2010 SYSTRA started work on the renovation of the engineering structures, and the Group was then awarded the contract to manage the project between 2012 and 2014.
As a first phase, from 2008 to 2012, SYSTRA provided Technical Advisory Services before winning the contract to manage the engineering work between 2012 and 2014. Responsibilities included:
- Works supervision
- Preparation of tender documents
- Planning study certificates
- Replacement of sheet piles
- Consolidation of stacks and foundations
- Repair of cracks caused by alkali-silica reactions
- Design & construction of ripraps
- Repainting all metal structures.