Modernisation of the Haut-Bugey Line
The consortium led by SYSTRA provided complete project management services on this programme to modernise the railway line between Bourg-en-Bresse and Bellegarde-sur-Valserine and reduce the journey time between Paris and Geneva to around 3 hours.
This project to upgrade an existing 65km section of single track was part of an overall programme to improve safety and modernise tracks and infrastructures.
The project covered:
- Replacing 65km of track, sleepers and ballast;
- Electrifying the line (2 x 25 000 V) and building a sub-station;
- Making modifications to bridges;
- Upgrading/removing level crossings;
- Installing centralised traffic control systems;
- Creating an interconnection with the Geneva line Bellegarde;
- Enhancing safety throughout the entire line.
SYSTRA was responsible for:
- Producing preliminary and detailed project designs;
- Compiling tender documents;
- Preparing environmental impact studies;
- Awarding contracts, supervising construction work and acceptance assistance.