Electrification of the Plovdiv-Svilengrad railway network
SYSTRA was commissioned to provide project management assistance on the electrification of the line between Plovdiv and Svilengrad in Bulgaria.
This project to upgrade and extend the line is part of Bulgaria’s programme to upgrade its transport systems, to establish a rail link between Europe and Asia and to improve access to Greece and Port Alexandroupolis.
The project involved:
- Building 40 km of dual track;
- Increasing train speeds to 160 km/h;
- Electrifying the line (25 kv AC 50 Hz);
- Renovating or building 27 stations.
SYSTRA was responsible for:
- Verifying project designs;
- Supervising construction work;
- Helping with testing, commissioning and acceptance procedures;
- Managing activities during the warranty period after commissioning.