China – Shanghai Metro – Line 16
Shanghai Shentong Group, the Shanghai Metro Authority commissioned SYSTRA to provide technical assistance on the construction of Line 16, initially known as the South Section of Line 11. It is the longest U-shaped viaduct line in the world.
Spanning 59 km, Line 16 comprises a 45 km U-shaped viaduct section and a 14 km underground section. The diameter of the tunnel section is 11.58 m. It has a total of 13 stations: 10 on the U-shaped viaduct section and 3 underground. Stations are no more than 10km apart. The line links Shanghai’s south-eastern district to Dishui Lake and runs through the Pudong financial district.
SYSTRA employed a new technique to install “small U-shaped” pre-cast beams to the launching rail for the first time on this project. More than 2 800 beams, with spans of up to 35 metres, were installed. Line 16 is the first line in China to make use of a 1500V DC third rail system designed to handle trains travelling at speeds of 120km/h.
Today, Shanghai has one of the largest transport networks in the world, spanning a total of 600 km and comprising over 350 stations. Its objective is to have 18 lines, 500 stations and over 800 km of track in operation by 2020. SYSTRA also designed for the Shanghai Metro the extension of Line 11, called “Disney Line”.
SYSTRA was involved in the project tender, design and construction phases. During the tender phase SYSTRA was responsible for:
- Managing the tender for the feasibility study
- Managing the tender for the third rail system
- Managing the tender for viaduct and station architectural designs
- Defining track and noise reduction wall configurations and equipment requirements
- Managing the tender for emergency passenger evacuation procedures
- Managing the tender for operating trains at speeds of 120 km/h using 1500 volts of continuous traction power
During the design and construction phase, SYSTRA was responsible for:
- construction designs and plans for the U-shaped viaduct,
- standard piers and header joists for the structures in and between stations,
- works supervision assistance,
- helping the client to verify contractor construction method statements.