Algiers Metro – Line 1
In 2006, SYSTRA was appointed to project manage the construction of Line 1 of the Algiers metro in Algeria.
Algiers first metro line is 14 km long and has 16 stations. It is the first city in North Africa to have a metro system and with Cairo, the only city on the African continent to have a heavy metro system.
Phase 1 of Line 1 runs parallel to the sea and crosses Algiers from east to west. It has 10 stations and most of the line is underground. The tunnel section was completed in 2007.
SYSTRA was responsible for project management work associated with the development and commissioning of the Integral System. It was responsible for monitoring, verifying and coordinating the development of the Integral System, including:
- General project management;
- Monitoring and checking designs for rolling stock and fixed equipment during the design manufacturing, factory testing, on-site testing and commissioning phases;
- Monitoring and checking construction work for the technical/administrative complex;
- Monitoring and checking completion of the maintenance facilities;
- Monitoring and checking the layout of stations and line structures;
- Testing and commissioning the Integral System;
- Testing and checking that the performance of the Integral System meets contractual requirements during the warranty period;
- Supervising the withdrawal of reserves.